Friday, August 28, 2015

Calendar Reflection

Kassalias, Mufidah. " Living In Your Calendar" January 21, 2014
Public Domain Dedication  Licence

The following blog outlines my reaction to the English 109H Weekly Calendar assignment, and my plan to take this information in order to fulfill my recommended six hours of homework dedication to this class.

Firstly, I have come to realize I dedicate too much time to sleeping and other personal activities. These activities range from going to the gym- which I have unintentionally made a routine- to dedicating most of my attention and time to classwork that really could be finished early on in the week.

With that in mind, I plan to finish all of my early in the week classwork before I attend English 109H on Tuesdays and Thursdays. That, in theory, would clear up at least three hours on Mondays and Fridays-  for a total of six hours. But I need to go further into my schedule in order to create a consistency in my focus.

I also hope to multitask and use most of my lunch and leisure periods in order to brainstorm and organize my work; so that, when I dive into the six hour homework period I can hit the ground running. This may include drafts for future blogs to familiarizing myself with the current textbook chapter.

If I dedicate enough time to my English schedule and familiarize myself with the content- with the aid of consistent in class note taking- I believe I will be able to succeed this Semester and ascertain my desired grade.

Reflection:

After visiting the blogs made by Jayni and Emma, I saw two writers focusing on one concept: Finding time to finish six hours of homework; yet still having an active social life. In my earlier post, I analyzed my Calendar Worksheet only to respond to my lack of assignment time by cutting out most of my private life.
What I now realize; especially after reading these posts, is that all I really need to monitor or cut out is the incidental leisure aspects. Based on Jayni's response, I need to stay on task and avoid those long break moments. And based on Emma's response, I can fit in most of my extra curricular if I take advantage of those long inter periods between most classes. Both blogs gave me a glimpse of hope that I can fulfill my English 109H requirement while still enjoy a social life.  

5 comments:

  1. I admire you for being able to sit down for three hours straight just to work on english. My brain can only take about an hour at a time without fizzing out. Similar to you I've made going to the gym part of my daily routine as well. I don't think I'd be able to dedicate so much time to schoolwork if I didn't. I like your idea of multitasking through your free time. Good luck with balancing all of your obligations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commitment of sitting down and knocking it out is so worth it, so i'm with you on that. I agree that there needs to be time for personal things, such as the gym on your schedule. That is a healthy habit that will help you! Multitasking through your schedule seems hectic but if you can handle it, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandon,

    Thanks for the read, it's reassuring to know there are other students that feel like they spend to much time on "them." By that I mean, students who feel like they use too much of their time for their own recreational activities as opposed to completing coursework. I am one of those students.

    That said, however, I don't think spending time on yourself is a bad thing. Don't let me dictate anything to you, and I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I think you need to preserve your routine, or at least hold onto it in some degree. You don't necessarily need to complete all the coursework you have for a class in one week in the same session; you can always try your best to work gradually and use time on campus between classes productively (if your schedule allows, which may not be the case). In your instance, I think trying to continue working out will help you stay productive when it comes to other areas of your life - especially academics - because it keeps you at your best and specifically is a great way to combat physical stress. In other words, don't let your personal routine be the expense of completing your work as early as possible. Instead, try to find a middle ground where the two can fit together nicely.

    Hope your schedule works out great this semester,
    -Mika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that the end of the semester is quickly approaching, it is a good time to see how much you have changed since the beginning of the term.

    You originally stated that you would strive to complete the deadline work before class on Tuesday and Thursday to free up some time on Friday and Monday, did this actually happen?

    You mentioned the fact that during break times throughout your day you plan on outlining and brainstorming work for that specific week's deadline. I am wondering if you actually took the time to look over your assignments during these times or chose to and take a break from school relax instead?

    If you did take vigorous notes in class like you mentioned in this post, do you feel as though those notes helped you when you started to work on the deadlines themselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Well I have had issues completing the deadline work before Tuesdays and Thursdays as I soon realized that finishing such an enormous amount of post work is unrealistic. I actually have been able to finish the deadlines on Fridays or mid-day Saturday.
      2. I have also been unable to do the "brainstorming" I had hoped to do. The combination of other coarse work and work has limited my ability to plan ahead for each deadline.
      3. I believe that I stopped taking notes mid September. I found that most of the content regarding this class could be found online on D2L or within the coarse work books.

      Delete