Thursday, August 27, 2015

My Writing Process

Pasternak, Leonid. "The Passion of Creation"  Late 19th Century/ Russian Empire.
Public Domain Dedication Licence



There is nothing worse in writing, than an author who doesn't know what he or she is doing. They blindly rush into a essay hoping to make a solid point, and then throw facts to prop up the already shaky claim.  In the following blog I outline how I first recognize my initial opinion towards a prompt, process out the unsubstantiated rhetoric, and establish a unique essay theme in which I can back up with sources and logic. Therefore, creating a solid essay.

  
Every writer has a Unique style and system of planning when approaching an essay.

I consider myself the extensive or heavy planner. The individual who sets aside time- wasted or otherwise- to brainstorm. Now by brainstorm, I mean create a list of points I want to bring up in my work. These points are usually initial opinions. 

Once I have taken my reaction, and made it more tangible on paper, I begin cutting loose ends. These ends could be anything from A). Repetitive Ideas, B). Weak or Vague Concepts, or C). Points that are Impossible to prove without extensive data. 

This process is practically identical to the 'Heavy Planners' characteristics. Which by definition consists of listing my ideas so extensively that I am at the "second or third revision" area of writing. For me that phase does not necessarily apply to me.

I always revise my work regardless of how good I think the piece is. Ego has no room in quality writing.

My work does have heavy planning, or have sequential composition to it, but I always try to make every piece standard in one category: Revision. I recognize that I do make mistakes, and go into my work to find the bits and pieces that are either A). Fallacious or  B). Poorly Supported. 

And so far, this writing style has worked for me. I have always created an essay that in my opinion is consistent, factual, and well thought out. Sure I might need to improve on vocabulary usage or maybe punctuation, but I think in terms of writing I am well off. If any weaknesses are apparent to me, it would be how I procrastinate. 

I may plan heavily, but I still plan and revise at the last possible minute. I seem to have this idea that I work best under pressure.

In retrospect, I do think it would be beneficial to try a new approach to writing; but only in my timing. I think if I set aside for time to do my heavy planning, revising, and finalizing I would most likely create a better essay. 

Reflection:

After visiting and reading the well written blogs of Isabel and Jessica, I found that I can relate to many people who have similar styles or attitudes towards writing and its processes. Both gave a more positive outlook towards reforming their style; especially, in the revision department of writing. This was more or less a reality check for myself, as I was convinced that heavy planning and organization in one's work would make revision trivial.

But, like all things, I am not perfect and will eventually make a sizable mistake that could dampen the effect or quality of my work. These blogs allowed me to see how others- though Heavy Planners like myself- still go wanting in the quality of writing or feel more revision is necessary in order to make their point more straight forward. They felt that while they avoided procrastination, they fell victim to writing for writing's sake. 
In other words, overburdening the piece with repetition or overthinking. This I can relate to, as I too astray from my original template, add words or ideas contrary to my essay's point, or go off on tangents. Therefore, these blogs reminded me that writing is a continuous process, with continuous revision, and continuous planning.






3 comments:

  1. Like you, I can't just write an essay in a blind rush. I have to know what my plan is or I won't know where to even start. However, I would call myself more of a sequential composer, simply because while I spend much time planning, I spend equal time writing, drafting and revising.

    I think it is great that you are a heavy planner who time to revise. I think the one downfall of a pure planner is that they fail to recognize their mistakes because they skip the revision process.

    Procrastination gets the best of us, but only if we let it! I make sure I give myself enough time to draft/write/revise by setting personal deadlines. I tell myself that I have to plan and draft on one day, and revise on another. Not only does this force me to take a look at the assignment a couple days before the due date, but seeing a paper with fresh eyes helps me catch more mistakes and improve my paper.

    Good luck with your writing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too tend to procrastinate when it comes to writing. I can also relate to heavy planning at the last minute. I, however, usually don't revise unless I have to. Even if it's part of the assignment, I usually don't revise that much. But revision is a great thing to do, so all the power to you if you can procrastinate, plan, and revise.

    This post is very well written and obviously not a result of procrastination, so good job. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike you, I tend to be a very Heavy Reviser. However, I still was able to see many things alike in our processes.

    Although I am unable to brainstorm in my mind and collect my thoughts there, I too use an outline. I also noticed that you tend to revise a lot as you go through your process. I also like to revise as I go.

    Another point that I could relate with was when you said you have to get rid of anything repetitive as you write. I also struggle with repetition and have to make sure not to do it.

    ReplyDelete