Saturday, September 26, 2015

Clarity Part II

Downing, Jenny. "Clarity & Brightness" June 21, 2008
Public Domain

Below entails a few additional sentence information regarding the "Clarity" of the writing process. The four major points I found during the reading are listed including examples. 

Emphasis


Most ideas can be emphasized using subordination and coordination. Subordination should be avoided when creating major ideas. Coordination draws attention equally among two or more ideas- compared to subordination's unequal emphasis. Emphasis can be most effective when grouping more spread out ideas or sentences into one. By definition, a QRG has more or less brief points with minor ideas within each. However within my QRG the brief sentences merely cloud the desired idea. 


Ex. This breakthrough in the human DNA code has been declared a human triumph; yet, many perceive this science as the precursor to medical genocide. 


Shifts: 


By definition of a shift is when one changes the point of view of a sentence or paper either through verb tense or sentence structure. This usually occurs within my writing after I quote someone else- who happens to be speaking in a different tense- or when I write a form of narrative / creative essay. I don't have this issue within my QRG because it is a more informative essay.  


Appropriate Language:

The genre of a QRG is, in context, a more casual method to inform the reader of an issue while still providing amble amounts of evidence and data to keep the idea credible. Within my QRG, the topic is more formal due to the content of the issue being more scholarly than a casual argument. But, I also want to keep my audience engaged; therefore, more comprehensible vocabulary is employed to prevent confusion. 

Ex. The pro-gene mapping supports the use of gene sequencing for diagnostics, the anti-mapping groups oppose any use of gene sequencing in medical decisions, while the "limited" sequencing groups supports the technology and its future use in medicine but aims to limit its use only to extreme medical illnesses.
    

Added Needed Words:

This section gave me incite into the concept that small more concise words can have a big impact in the effectiveness of and essay or QRG. However omitting a word or sentences with an unclear message my cause a reader to lose the build up idea of the post or even discredit the piece as a whole. Issues in terms or omitting or overusing words usually occurs when I am writing a narrative because so much could be said that one my type faster than he thinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment