Saturday, September 19, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting

Unknown Author, "Man Sitting and Drafting Board" 1936
Public Domain
Below I will be answering two questions regarding the construction of my draft QRG and the information I used from the Student's Guide to Writing . Some of the information, I must admit wasn't that helpful- since it focused more on essay construction- but the rest really help in the overall formatting of the information.

What parts of the book's advice was helpful in writing this genre?

I found that the use of introductions was the most relevant aspect to a QRG because it hooks the reader- incising them to reader further into the post. It also gave a general idea of the controversy as a whole.

I attempted to use a thesis to guide my QRG. This thesis wouldn't be as structured and obvious as normal essay based thesis' but give the reader a general concept of the points that would be presented within the article. Plus i feel more comfortable with this system, preventing me from going off subject.

In regards to the PIE method, I found that the principle of keeping the information simple and brief could really help me imprint my argument into the reader's mind. Plus, I agree that small readable blurbs of information are more memorable that long paragraphs, which seem rather formidable than informative.

What parts of the book's advice was not as helpful? 

The PIE method was a great system, but I feel that the book's constant demands for QRG's to be this less than formal system, really didn't work for me. I prefer to have more structure and an obvious progression of information rather than random bullet points. Bullets should be used only as a way to list more than three points- in my opinion- which I will use in my QRG.

Reflection:

After reading posts made by Kyle and Isabel, I have seen that many people recognize that the need for a heavily structured and obvious thesis statement is not necessary for this style of genre writing. While I prefer to have a more systematic and clear thesis within my introduction and then repeat that same thesis within my conclusion- to remind the reader of what was expressed over the entire piece- I now see that a thesis can be hidden to a certain extent, where a thesis can be stated but it is more abstract than listed point by point. Also, the use of more concise paragraphs is ideal, as the information is more readable and memorable than long paragraphs- taking PIE more into account.

I. QRGs must accurately incorporate the overall message I wish to put across my reader. Threfore, I should organize my paragraphs to be more inevitable and memorable.

II. I should attempt reorganize my introduction to be more of a question answer format rather than a blanket intro discussing the argument.

III.. The wordiness of my paragraphs should be limited to colloquial vocabulary and brief points, listing the information in bullets would solve this issue.

2 comments:

  1. You have an interesting take on the textbook's advice. I think the way you altered the book's advice on thesis statements to make it applicable to the quick reference guide genre is helpful. I also agree that parts of the PIE method are applicable, while others are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you supported the usefulness of the advice but with purposeful hesitation by explaining the reading's focus on essays rather than a QRG. I didn't think the thesis was important at all because I didn't see where it would fit in the QRG, but I see what you mean where you say it should be adjusted to fit the conventions of a QRG. I liked your explanations a lot; keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete