Saturday, September 19, 2015

Reflection of Project I Draft

Litterio, Antonio. "Stipula Fountain Pen" May 26. 2011
Public Domain


Below is a reflection on my peer experience and the reviews written. I edited QRGs written by Ayra and Mika, adding possible changes ranging from grammar to paragraph structure.

Audience:

Who is going to read this QRG?

  • The audience that will be reading my QRG will be the English 109H class, which is composed of honors level English students. I am hoping that those within this class are well educated and competent enough to understand the general idea of the topic. Therefore, I will structure my QRG to be more readable and memorable in terms of information. This will require small concise points with supporting evidence. 
What are their values and expectations?
  • Since this audience is a honors English class, I assume that the group expects a well written and well supported document with obvious structure and conclusions. The development of the argument must also be apparent as well as the background information of the issue itself.
How much information do I need to give my audience?
  • My topic pertains to DNA sequencing and dozens of genetic based sciences that involve the manipulation/ documentation of certain DNA codes.With that in mind, I would most likely need to give extensive background information on the basic aspects of DNA. Also, the relative positions of each belligerent within the debate must be extensively clarified, as it does get rather specific in the science department of things.
What kind of language is suitable for this audience?
  • My audience is more or less fairly educated and informed, therefore I can have a more academic vocabulary and tone within the piece. However, I don't want to isolate certain people who don't understand the extensive science behind the issue and will most likely have a more colloquial tone in the explanations. 
What tone should I use?
  • A formal tone will be ideal within this piece as it gives more of a credibility to the overall message made. I will have to avoid the use of "me" and "I" as it will make it more of a personal narrative than a research presentation of an issue. 
Context: 

What are the formatting requirements of the assignment? Did I meet them?
  • Overall the requirements of this assignment were to discern the normal conventions of the QRG from five examples, and utilize the qualities of each to incorporate into our work. I believe that I properly used the information provided to create a proper QRG, furthermore my use of headlines, concise paragraphs, and plenty of space between thoughts kept the overall QRG theme intact.
What are the content requirements of the assignment? Did you meet them?
  • My QRG was structured to give the reader an informative opinion on an issue, as well as present the opinions from both sides of the ail and give the least opinionated information to support basic claims. That was, in my opinion, the most important aspect of the genre, and I made sure to meet them. 
Does my draft reflect knowledge or skills gained in class in addition to my own ideas and voice?
  • First of all, I had never even heard of a QRG before this class, so I assume that any to all of my formatting and structure is relatively new- since I haven't yet found a routine for them- and the material I have taken from class has been the most important for my writing. I no long just summarize and throw information into a text just for the sake of it, every word is well thought out and heavily planned.
Have I addressed any of the grammatical issues pointed out?
  • My peers only pointed out minor typos within the text, and I immediately corrected them and restructured the sentences to suit the change. But somehow the comment disapears, and I have now reference to the work I have done.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandon! You didn't hyperlink me to the peer drafts you reviewed. Just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete