Saturday, October 24, 2015

Audiences & Genre

Shankbone, David. "Theater Crowd" 2007
Public Domain
It is very important for a writer to understand his or her audience and the genre of the piece. Below, I have analyzed and evaluated what my audience will be in regards to my Project III topic.

Audience I:

Target I: Medical Professionals/ Healthcare Providers

Since my topic relates to gene sequencing and its affects on modern health care, I believe that my primary audience will be individuals who have a basic understanding of genomes and the DNA code. But since I will be talking about the technology's influence in diagnostic treatment, I believe that a greater portion of my audience will medical professional or those who have a substantial knowledge of hospital treatment and health care administration.

Publication Locations: Audience I

  1. YouTube or Online Interview where I find experts in the field of genetics and gene mapping. This can be done at the University of Arizona as there is a significant science community involving DNA and genetic research. 
  • Example I: I could do a teaching based video where I describe the gene sequencing process and the data behind the science like this You Tube video.  
  • Example II: I could simply do an interview of professionals of the field, and ask about their beliefs of the future of the technology and treatment or a TED talk explanation of the process, like this video.  
2. Personal Narrative of the Treatment

  • Example I: I could do a more serious essay of the treatment, using a more article or blog post style to express my opinions on the influence of gene mapping on diagnostic treatment. Like this descriptive information piece
  • Example II: I could also do a more casual video of my opinions on the issue, noting the benefits of whole-genome sequencing and the future of the treatment. Instead of having it as an informative piece, I will try to influence my audience to support the treatment like this video.

Audience II: Student Learners

Target II: Medical Students/ College Learners
Since my topic relates to gene sequencing and its affects on modern health care, I believe that my primary audience will be individuals who have a basic understanding of genomes and the DNA code. But for this audience I want to target individuals who want to have a basic knowledge of the treatment process for personal reasons or just for the sake of learning.

 Publication Locations; Audience II


  1. QRG or Small Essay
  • Example I: I could redo the Project I QRG to apply to a broader audience, so that the information is more accessible and easier to read like this QRG. 
  • Example II: I could also do a Power point style or Wikipedia formatted research report that give the general idea of the topic and provides numerous links for further investigation, like this example.
2.  Personal Narrative of the Treatment

  • Example I: Example I: I could do a more serious essay of the treatment, using a more article or blog post style to express my opinions on the influence of gene mapping on diagnostic treatment, but also keep the information understandable and easy to follow. Like this descriptive information video. 
  • Example II: I could simply do an interview of professionals of the field, and ask about their beliefs of the future of the technology and treatment or a TED talk explanation of the process. I could also use an article style format as a means to express these opinions, like this article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment