Saturday, October 17, 2015

Punctuation Part I

Orr, John William "Teaching Punctuation" 1869
Public Domain
Below I discuss the rules of punctuation from the Rules for Writers reading, which I will then use this information to reflect on my own writing process and style.

Colons/Semicolons

When it come to using colons in writing, I tend to avoid this form of punctuation because I find them odd and I really don't know when to use them in sentences anyway. I tend to use semicolons when creating a complex sentence, but otherwise I stick to commas or periods.

However, after reading the text, I found that one could use colons for quotations.The text also reminded me that semicolons could be used to replace a comma and its coordinating conjunction between closely related independent clauses, as well as for the use of transitional phrases. I believe that I will use the semicolon to incorporate more transitional phrases and add voice to the paper.

End Punctuation

I have never had an issue with ending my sentences with a period, question mark, or exclamation mark. I realize that those forms of punctuation contribute to the over meaning of each sentence, but I also view the more emotionally packed end punctuation exist to express the author's feelings on an issue.

I will definitely use the end punctuation forms to add a more rhetorical feel to this essay. I will most likely do this in the form of rhetorical questions. I don't think that the use of exclamation points will necessary or proper for this essay form.

Unnecessary Commas

I feel that I have a general knowledge of when and when not to use a comma in a sentence. However there are instances where I have to use a reference sheet of an internet grammar tool to help me place commas in more complex sentence structures. Compound and Complex sentences tend to give me the most trouble. But, by following a basic rules for comma placement I think the essay won't have issues.

I'll most likely follow the concept where if a sentence cannot stand on its own as an independent sentence, there should not exist a comma. Also the text stated that keeping independent clause rules in mind will add cohesiveness to the essay, but will help you avoid confusing sentence structures with incomplete thoughts or verb errors.

Reflection: 

After reading the draft essays made by Carter and Kyle, If found that each writer has a very different style to writing, and therefore has completely opposite attitudes to adding punctuation.

Carter seemed to avoid those complicated sentence structures where a comma or a semicolon may be needed. This limited his ability to express his opinion when analyzing rhetorical strategies of his author. This issue was the most obvious in this sentence:

 "Because of his experience in the medical field Jauhar is able to express his opinions knowing that the audience will assume his statements to be valid."

Note the missing comma after "field" leaving the sentence rather dragged on and at moments rather difficult to read. 

As for Kyle, he had many complex sentence structures and at times quotes directly from the article. However, he does not uses commas properly when quoting. For example: 

"His examples are, 'In 2003, for example, Elan Pharmaceuticals had to stop trials of an Alzheimer's vaccine that had cured the disease in ‘Alzheimer's mice,' after the substance caused brain inflammation in human test subjects." (1) and...".

Kyle goes on to add an analysis to this quote, but due to the lack of commas or transitional phrases, the sentence seems dragged out.

No comments:

Post a Comment